zaterdag 15 januari 2011

Goa - Mangalore - Chennai - Pondycherry

My last days in Goa were a bit weird. I met so many wonderful people and made some real friends. But it was time to say goodbye. The road was calling me! First there was Devika, that was the hardest part. We were traveling together for a month and we were "a damn fine team"! She left in the afternoon and our goodbye went pretty fast so we wouldn't get all emotional. I guess we're both the 'hard' type! Haha! ;-) But I'm sure we'll meet again!
The next day I went to visit Annemie and Patrick in Candolim. One last dinner together and what a dinner that was! They had mozzarella as a starter and then big prawns with garlic on the BBQ. They had been bragging before about their terrace, but now I knew what it was all about. A super night in good company and amazing food! Thanks again guys!
My last day I had lunch with Matthias and the Manali-crew. They're a crazy bunch, but I had fun with them and it made staying in Manali Guest House a very interesting and relaxing time! They all left together to go to Hampi, but I was there before so I had to go my own way. I do think about them and how they are over there in Hampi, but I'm pretty sure they're having a good time!
And last but not least I said goodbye to Chris, Indian style over tea, massala chai! Haha! Well, saying goodbye to him was not that hard because I know he'll come to Belgium this summer. He's not convinced yet, but I know! Haha! Chris, you're reading this? Yeah? Well, stop, NOW you know!!! :-D
And then I was off! Off to Chennai. The direct train only runs once a week on Friday and since I wanted to leave on Monday the travel agent managed to find me an 'alternative route'. Yep, that's what they call it. I call it 'the hard way'. So I had to take a train from Goa to Mangalore. It was gonna leave at 10:30 PM and arrive at 6:30 AM. That's what I was told. The reality was a bit different. The train was late and didn't come until midnight. There I was in the station in the ladies waiting room. I went outside for a minute to smoke a cigarette and when I came back the police were removing a male figure from that waiting room. Apparently he had been doing some 'animal like' things to himself... or something. Anyway, I'm glad I missed that and so I stayed out on the platform. All of a sudden I turn around and this dude comes sneaking up behind me and says 'hi' only 10 centimeters away from my face! Well, I don't like it when they invade my privacy so I yelled "GO AWAY". And that was that, or so I thought. When the train finally arrived I make my way to my coach and when I get on there is a group of 'monkeys' fighting each other to get on the train. In the crowd I loose my shoe and so I yell to calm down, get back... I need my shoe! The group is all sitting down in my compartment. What is going on here? It's time to be tough and so I ask them to calm down and shut up, and who has a ticket and who is not supposed to be there? Thank god, one of them is really friendly and he explains that they are on the waiting list and the conductor made them wait here, but if I want to go to sleep, they will go and sit somewhere else. I'm happy with that and I don't mind them sitting there, but I will go to sleep soon. And then I turn right and there he is... the dude who invaded my privacy on the platform. He points at my backpack and wants me to remove it so he can sit down. Here? Right next to me? Are you kidding? " NO, YOU don't get to sit next to me! Go away!!" And this time he does... forever, because I didn't see him again! After 15 minutes I'm up in my bed and I set my alarm for 6 o'clock, Thank God I overhear a conversation saying we will be arriving at 4:30 AM. What? Only 4 hours for sleeping... pfff, short night! On top of that my stomach is finally upset. After 2 months of nothing, it decides to get all hostile on me right now! Worst timing.
At 4:40AM we arrive in Mangalore. Well, outside Mangalore because no one told me there are 3 railway stations in Mangalore. I'm tired, my stomach hurts, it's dark... so I decide to stay in the station until it gets light. If I go to town now, everything will be closed, so the safest place at this hour is in the station in front of the station manager's office. There were drunks, dogs, a 15-minute blackout, but I managed to sleep a bit wrapped in my blanket on my backpack. When I wake up it's light and the sun is rising! A man just dropped of his family and offers to share a rickshaw into town. He negotiates the price and even insists on paying. I did pay half, but it was a nice man without any other motive than to be nice! I find myself a room for the day and after sleeping and a shower I head into town. It's so clean here and everybody is nice! Really, people are just friendly and they don't want anything from you. Rickshaws use their meter without you having to ask them. The travel agent gave me the correct information without charging me anything. This is an amazing place! If I had more time I would have stayed, but unfortunately I have another night train ahead. This one leaves at 9:30 PM and will arrive in Chennai at 3:30 PM. Only 18 hours... piece of cake!
I get there on time and the train leaves on time. This time I'm in the women's compartment and the Indian railway take that very serious! There is a police officer right next to it. And twice someone tried to sleep on the one empty bed in our compartment, the conductor and the police were there in an instant to remove them. Amazing! Yep, I closed my eyes and slept. Except from running to the toilet every 2-3 hours the ride was smooth and at 4PM we arrive in Chennai. I check in my hotel and even though it looks like a cell, 2 by 3 meters with white tiles all around, it has a TV and that is all I need now. A banana, water (my stomach) and Television!! "Moulin Rouge"! Oooh, I made it! Haha. :-D
I get outside the next day but my stomach is still upset and Chennai is such a big city, that I decide to spend the day in a shopping mall. First time in India, but today I need it. A clean, cool place. It only takes me 2 rickshaws and one fight to get there, no I'm not in Mangalore anymore, but I really enjoyed that! And again I make it an early night in front of my TV... haha, it's the little things that make you happy sometimes! ;-)
Okay, my stomach is better and today is the day that I leave Chennai to go to Pondycherry. First I have to make it to the bus station. Rickshaw drivers are yelling at me to go with them, they tell me it's 20 kilometers out of town, blablabla... finally a shopkeeper comes outside and tells me that I can take a bus too. That I don't have to use a rickshaw drivers, because I will pay too much. Right in front of them he tells me all of this! Amazing! Honest, in your face! Haha! Well, the bus it is. Number 27B. 27B must be the busiest freaking bus in Chennai! And I get on with my backpack. It's hell. I'm standing in the middle, nothing to hold on to, and I'm being pushed from one side to the other. You know those metal balls in those plastic games? Kids have to get the ball in the middle? Well, that's what I was! A metal ball! Jezus! And all you can do, is let go! Just let go and try not to fall! Finally a man has to get off and offers me his seat. So I get down with my backpack, but the space it too narrow for me AND the backpack. So I try to get back up to remove my backpack, but everybody insists on me staying put... they do it out of friendliness. They want me to sit down, but damned, they don't realize that being squashed like this is hardly comfortable... Now that they are being friendly and caring, their timing is a bit wrong. But I stay put and manage to find a way to make it work.
Next is the bus to Pondycherry. It only takes me half an hour to find it. Chennai bus station is huge and you see signs everywhere. I knew where the Police was, and the Pharmacy, and the bookshop... but no signs telling you where to go for Pondycherry. Finally I ask the Police, because I know how to find THEM and they are our 'best friend, always happy to help'. Haha, this one is friendly and shows me the way. He should change jobs... too nice to be a police officer and too intelligent. ;-)
The bus is packed, as usual. And they manage to put me next to two fat mamas and a fat baby. I had half a seat and people stepping on my toes on the other side. But I'm experienced now, so all I need is my music and I disconnect with my body for 4 hours. And here I am, in Pondycherry and it is beautiful!!! It used to be a French settlement. So the Architecture is amazing! I didn't find a guest house yesterday, everything was full. But thanks to an older French man I now have an apartment for only 500 roepies. It's beautiful, if this was in Belgium I would buy it! And the food... well, this is one thing the French left behind here, Thank God. The food is amazing! I had baguette for breakfast, real baguette! Wow! And in fact, I have to go now, because they're waiting for me and I'm pretty sure tonight is gonna be 'steak night'!! Joehoe!
Bon appetit!!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten