donderdag 11 november 2010

Old Delhi, New Delhi, Delhi, Delhicious!!

I never thought I would ever say this in my life... but it's good to be in Delhi. Rishikesh was nice but at the end I was a bit bored. So yesterday morning without making any arrangements I decided to just go back to Delhi and see if I can get a ticket to Mumbai. So I leave my Guesthouse and go to the main road and a Vikram (small open air truck) is going to Haridwar where I can take the train to Delhi. He gives me the choice to either go alone and pay 300 roepies OR he can fill it up and we share the price. So I decide to wait untill it's full. And boy, was it full?! 7 young Indian men join me, between 22 and 25 years old. So this is a real test. They come on to me straight away even though they are all married with children. So I play the virgin-card. I tell them I'm getting married in the spring, a June-wedding because that's my birthday and my fiancee is working to build our house. Because in my country it is the man who pays for the wife... haha. Yep, if you're going to lie, you might as well add some shocking ingredients to the story. So after telling them they can NOT put their arm around me for a picture... they actually tell me I am a respectable woman and they haven't met many western respectable women. That is not true, they haven't met many western women at all so they only know the macho stories that go around India about Western women being easy! So in such situations I play the Virgin-card! And it pays off! Ha! They end up teaching me some words and how to nodd my head the right way.
So I get to the trainstation and I buy 'some' ticket for 'a' train to Delhi. It leaves in 2 hours, so I go to the platform to check it out. It turns out it is fully booked and the ticket I have is not for a seat but for 'space' in an open carriage... Yep, this is gonna be hell. So I wander around and then the conductor comes up to me saying they still have places in 2class AC. Thank God! All I have to do is show up in an hour and pay for the ticket on the train. You see, the system is a bit weird. They have different types of tickets for different groups; senior citizens, ladies, foreign tourists... and even when these tickets are not sold but all the normal tickets are sold, it says the train is full. So as a women and foreign tourist, if you just show up when the train is going to leave there is a 95% chance they will still find you a place. So perfect for me, no?!
The trainride takes 8 hours and different people come up to me to talk. One guy is going home after having attended a spiritual lector by his Guru. Man, he was all spiritual talks and stories and I ended up asking him to leave me alone because he was tiring me.
It's past 10 in the night when we will arrive Delhi, Old Delhi. I've never arrived there in that station and so I'm a little bit worried about how things will go. I booked a room in the neighbourhood where I always stay and so I will have to get a taxi or something. And just when I'm about to step off the train there is an older man, French. We start talking and he booked a room in the same hotel. Waw, what luck I now have a travel-partner and I don't have to go into the night all alone. And it turns out he speaks Hindi. What more do you want; Older, male, Hindi-speaking... all the things Indians respect! So he fixes us a ride on a bycicle-rickshaw and it was sooooo nice. A nightview of Delhi! Through the labyrinth of little streets we reach the hotel. My room is big, clean and nicely decorated (which is a rarety here). AND to end my day even more perfect... They bring a beer up to my room, the first since last week! Jammie! Yep, I slept 8 hours straight and feel good!
Today I got a hold of a ticket to Mumbai for tomorrow, it was the second last one, so again it is a lucky day! Let's hope this vibe stays with me a little longer... maybe it is Karma, who knows?! ;-)

5 opmerkingen:

  1. Emma! The virgin-card!!? Really!! Zalig!! We liggen hier te gieren met je verslagje. K ben al curieus wat je weer gaat meemaken op je rit naar Mumbai! Je komtsuper zelfzeker over in je verslagje...but are you? Really??!! ;-)
    Dikke knuffel van ons beide xx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. hm hm, the virgin card, a travel partner in the night... het begint spannend te worden. May the Karma be with you girl! zoen, x tine

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  3. emsiepemsie joe go go! love to read your stories :) xxxx

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  4. you were always good playing cards ;)
    Rienie

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  5. Hallo Emma,

    Leuk je blog te lezen en te merken dat je aan het genieten bent.
    Ik kijk alvast uit naar jouw trouw in juni :)

    Veel plezier ginder!

    Vele groeten,
    Maarten

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen