vrijdag 26 november 2010

Goa

So I left Mumbai last week on Saturday and everything went smooth. The travel agents in Mumbai were scaring all the tourists how it is high season in Goa and there is hardly any ticket left for the train, so you would have to fly or take a very expensive bus... But I just went to the train station on friday and got my ticket for the next day. I think I was lucky because there were no tickets for Sunday or Monday, but the man behind the counter told me he had a cancellation for Saturday and still had 2 tickets. One of them was mine if I wanted it, so I took it! They're not usually this helpful... normally they just say 'yes' or 'no' so I was really happy that this man helped me! Thank you!
On arriving in the station Saturday night I waited in the Ladies waiting room to avoid the staring, since I was there 3 hours too early and in a bad mood. Mumbai had worn me out and I was tired. I get a bit aggressive when I'm tired and so people around me better watch out. Of course Indian people don't know that so unfortunately for them I was not in a smiling mood. No, I was on the path of war and so the first guy that took a picture of me without asking... well, let's just say everybody around us knew that I was NOT happy with that! And one guy who followed me all around the station won't be doing that again soon, after I threatened to call the Police to come over! These are things I can normally cope, but that day I just didn't have the energy.
Mumbai Victoria Railway Station is one of the biggest railway stations in the world, and probably the most beautiful one but that's hard to see through all the dirt and the filth. So if only it wasn't in India... then it might be worth a visit. Soon 2 more tourists came and it turned out they were also heading to Goa with the same train. Now I could leave my stuff with them and go to the bathroom, finally! My mood started to change slowly slowly... ;-)
When the train arrived in Mumbai at 22:30, there was complete Chaos!! The train hadn't even reached the platform yet and the open carriages were already full. Everybody wanted to get on this train. They were pulling and shouting... thank god I had a ticket for second class AC. When I got on, we were 6 tourists all cooped up together in the same compartment. We had ourselves a little party before going to bed and took the risk of eating 'train-rice' and 'train-tea'. It was perfect and after reading a bit one by one we fell asleep.
The next morning we arrived and the first stop was mine. An Argentinian and an Irish guy were heading the same town, called Arambul, so we shared a taxi. Arambul is in the North of Goa and it has a big backpackers scene and no big resorts. We got ourselves a hut near the beach and stayed there for 3 nights. We didn't do much more than reading, go walking, play yahtzee... just relaxing. It's all I needed after Delhi and Mumbai. I felt tired and overstimulated. So being here was exactly what I needed. Wednesday, me and the Irish guy, Peter, went on to Anjuna, which is a beach more central in Goa and a bit busier. We've been here 2 nights and again there's not much more to do than read, swim, eat, drink... a bit more parties, but Peter ended up going alone, because it's just not my thing. And now I've had enough. I'm getting tired of doing nothing and although we had a nice long walk up the cliffs and hills to go to the next beach (which no other tourists seem do over here; walk)... I'm ready to move on. I got my ticket for the nightbus and will be leaving tomorrow night to go to Hampi! I'm excited about that and feel it's time. Goa is nice and relaxing, but it's boring after a while and some beaches have little to do with India. Apart from the hassle for sunbeds and bracelets on the beach and the occasional beggar... this is a very Western part of India. People walk around in their bikinis, eat pizza, drink cocktails... things you would never imagine them possible in India if you are for example in Rajasthan. It's hard to believe this is the same country. There is also a change in scenery and the people are different. There are Christian churches everywhere and even in the front-yard of many homes you see crosses in stead of a statue of some Hindoe god. There are only a few Hindoe temples, so I think the majority here is Christian. They still mix it up with a bit of Hindoe rituals, that's just the Indian way and let's be honest... Christianity was forced on them, so it's only natural that they rebel a bit.But it's different and therefor it's worth coming to Goa when you want to learn about India. Good to know these places exist and maybe I'll come back here later when or if I'm tired... :-D

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten