dinsdag 15 maart 2011

A quicky in Bangkok and now taking my time in Kathmandu... ;-)

I left Laos and not a minute too soon. Vientiane is not my city and I was ready to move on. They came to pick me up and when we arrived at the trainstation near Vientiane I immediately started chatting to a Dutch guy and his boyfriend. We have to 'check out' of Laos in this trainstation, but because it's after 4pm the woman behind the desk wants more money... What to do? Well, you pay of course. Because she can keep you passport and make sure you miss the train. It was only 20 eurocents more, but when there is a hundred of you... she's having a good day working after hours! Haha!
Then you take a little train over the bridge to Thailand. This takes about 15 minutes and then you have to 'check in' in Thailand. We had half an hour there to get some money from the ATM, smoke a cigarette and then it was off to Bangkok. Jeroen, his friend and me had beds next to each other, but more importantly... we were next to the train-restaurant-cart. So I go on the train, put my backpack down and find my seat. Right then they are already standing next to me with big 'asking' eyes. "What you do? No sit! We go restaurant NOW!" Okay, so there we go. The train hasn't even left and the first beers are already on the table. I don't even know how many beers passed by that night, but the atmosphere was very laid back. I had so much fun that night and so did the other passangers. It was as if none of us had any worry, we all left them on that platform in Nongkai and all we had to do for the next hours was absolutely nothing.
The morning was of course a little bit less 'funny'. Only a few hours sleep, busy Bangkok, a hangover, it's already 35 degrees at 7 in the morning... I decided not to torture myself more than necessary and so I took a taxi to my hotel. A Czech guy who was also in the 'midnighttrainbar' offered to share the taxi 'cos he was heading in the same direction. Perfect! We arrived, HE payed the taxi and then we said goodbye... hihi.
Luckily my room was ready so I could check in right away and go upstairs to take a nap. After that I walked around a bit, had a swim in the rooftop pool and then... well, then I had to wait... My friends Kristel and Steph were on their way to Bangkok and I was expecting them to arrive at the hotel around 5 pm. 5 pm came and went... so did 6 pm and 7 pm... and I was ready to give up. Did something happen? Did they miss the plane? I had no cell phone so there was no way of reaching them. And taxi after taxi stopped in front of the hotel and every time my heart skipped a beat. You see, I haven't seen them in 4.5 months. I was excited. But excitement became nervousness and just when I was ready to give up and go for dinner... there they were! My God! Tired, pale, dressed far too warm, thirsty and hungry... but it was definitely them, finally!
We had a good time in Bangkok. We did a few visits, had massages, did a little shopping and took our time to eat and drink and talk talk talk. The weekend passed by way too fast and all of a sudden it was Monday morning. Time to part again. They went off to the south of Thailand and for me it was time to go to Nepal. Our planes left at the same time so we shared a taxi, said 'aerport goodbyes' and there I was, on my own again. On my way to the last new country to discover on this trip!
The flight was really nice, except maybe when we landed and we could feel the plane swinging left and right because of the strong wind. Nobody else seemed worried and we made it, so I guess it's just daily business here. When I stepped out of the plane; the first thing that hit me was the smell. That mixture of pollution with the sweet smells of oils and incense. A bit like India and so I felt pretty comfortable. My Visa on arrival went very smooth altough I kind of miscalculated. I was expecting to get a Visa for 60 days, but it's only for 30. I'm staying for 36 days, so I have to fix this. (I already know now that it won't be a problem, but I did NOT know that when I stood there...) I went out, ATM didn't work so all I had was 10 dollars. Taxi drivers and guides and all sorts of young men around me trying to take me to their guest house and in their taxis... this is SOO India. And yet it is SO NOT! People here are friendlier and they laugh more. There is no agression and they keep an appropriate distance. That will be my mission; to "stop comparing India and Nepal". Altough some things are maybe similar, they are even more different! Nepal is relaxed and friendly. I feel comfortable here.
Finally I took a taxi and just went with the oldest man in the pack. Police pointed him out for me and said he was 'good - honest'. The drive took about 40 minutes as traffic was busy. Kathmandu is the capital of Nepal, but don't expect a city like Delhi, Bangkok or Beijing. Kathmandu is smaller, without skyscrapers and flashy boulevards. It's as if Kathmandu has both feeth on the ground and that makes it a very charming city. I'm staying in Thamel, which is the backpackersarea. I have a good guest house and very cheap with tv and everything. Not that that really makes any difference here. You see, electricity is limited to a few hours a day. This week for example there are about 4 hours in the afternoon and about 6 hours in the middle of the night. Not really the times to watch TV or even be in your room. They do have back-up in the hotel. Of course they do. But that's only for the light. Sockets don't work; so no charging, no TV... Heyhey, look at it from the bright side: at least they put in the effort!! :-D
First job was to find a light, since I don't want to be lost somewhere in the dark. I found one of those headlights, since I "lost" my Petzel somewhere in Deurne! ^^ After that I phoned my friend Greetje and arranged to meet her, BJ (her husband) and Mira (their daughter) at six o'clock. It was just perfect! Nice restaurant, good food and seeing them again after three years was the easiest thing. As if we saw each other just last week! And I got the inside information on Thamel and Kathmandu.
More information came this morning when Greetje took me around Thamel and showed me where they have good food, good drinks, where to buy stuff. Yep, this feels like a home away from home! And after having lunch at their house I feel like I already had a little sneakpeak at how life in Kathmandu is! And I can tell you it looks very nice... ;-)
Now, I'm taking my time to get settled and explore this city.... and of course taking a break every now and then for a good cup of coffee and maybe I'll throw in a slice of chocolate cake today (just like yesterday). Who knows?! Haha! ;-)

1 opmerking:

  1. Ja ems, al in Nepal....; Het gaat vooruit. Doe iedereen de groeten daar en geniet van wat je nog te wachten staat.
    Dorien

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen